Thursday, December 3, 2009

Mama's Kitchen


During this time of year, it is easy to think about food. My tables have abounded with goodies recently and will continue to do so through the holiday season.
Yesterday, as I was deciding what to make for supper after a long day, my memories floated back to the sights, sounds, and smells of my mother's kitchen.
She was an excellent cook. She wasn't a "count your calories" sort of cook either- she didn't mind expanding the waistlines, tastebuds, and hearts of those around her. Looking back, cooking was a big part of her life and I am so happy she taught me the best tricks and tips of her trade.
As a young girl, Mama would usher me into the kitchen asking me to "watch her cook." She explained that I would learn best by watching her cook and one day, I would be able to duplicate all the good things coming from her kitchen. One of my favorite memories is watching her make french toast. She made the best french toast I have ever eaten- no one's has ever come close to comparing. She often got up on Saturday mornings and made french toast. She, my Dad, and I ate it together with smiles and laughter. We never used syrup or powdered sugar- her's didn't need it. It wasn't until I was married that I found out there were people who actually put syrup on their french toast! I was blissfully naive!
At every holiday meal, my Mom supplied her favorites- orange congealed salad (which she lovingly left the cottage cheese out of for David), sweet potato souffle (made from the real stuff, never the can), squash casserole (a favorite of her church friends), chocolate fudge cake (to die for), and many more delectable dishes.
She cooked from scratch for the majority of my life. As a baby, she often cooked and mashed fresh veggies for my baby food. I blame her for starting my life long addiction to mashed potatoes this way! She worked 40 hour weeks and still made the time for a home-made family meal every night but Friday. That was our "out to dinner" night. Looking back, I don't know how she did it all. Having a full time job and two kids of my own, the last thing on my list is cooking a meal every night. But, Mama took pleasure in it.
On Christmas Eve, she and I often made cookies together. She loved to make snickerdoodles for David, sugar cookies for Daddy, and chocolate chip for me. We took joy in the baking process, but more in the stories and laughter that happened in her kitchen.
Last night, as I was thinking of what to make for supper, I knew Mama's french toast would hit the spot. Breakfast for supper is always a win in my house. So, I made the french toast, shed a few tears, thought of my Mom, and remembered the good times in her kitchen. And, I treasured the fact that she showed me how to make good food. The lip-smacking and smiles on the faces of my family showed that her legacy of love can continue to reach the hearts (and waistlines) of others through me!

1 comment:

  1. That is a wonderful tribute to your mom. I am so glad that you have gifts, this this, from her to pass on to your kids. It is a part of her legacy. I am continuing to pray for you and your dad and for the kids too. I know this will be a bitter sweet season. Thank you for sharing some of your heart.

    ReplyDelete