Saturday, February 27, 2010

This and That

It's been about 5 weeks since I last posted, mostly because of life and I find that I have very little free time. When I do have free time, I'm spending it with my family. But, many of you like to keep up with our happenings this way, so I will update!

January and February have been difficult months. I LOVE snow, especially snow days from school, but this winter, all the snow seemed to occur on the weekend. Since dear hubby is the dispatcher for snow events in our town, snow days means loosing him to the night shift. Ordinarily, this wouldn't be so bad, but any time we spend together happens on the weekends, so having three weekends of not seeing him made me feel like a single mom. I am not diminishing what single moms go through. But, with my VERY limited experience, I can see how very hard it would be and I am thankful everyday for my husband.

In the midst of all of the changes in our schedule, I've had a very stressful month at work. The faculty is learning about a new style of teaching. I have put in lots of hours preparing for my unit to teach using this new model. It was laborsome, it was time consuming, and at times, extremely frustrating. Having a good attitude has been quite the challenge. On top of that, several students shared some big burdens with me in the last five weeks. Many of my students confide in me, and while I welcome that and realize that God has gifted me with a listening ear, sometimes it is hard to separate myself from someone else's pain. When other people share deep burdens with me, it stays on my heart and mind until it is resolved. It is emotionally draining and often brings with it spiritual attacks. Most days I feel like being a teacher is the LEAST of my job. More often that not, I am listening, providing wisdom, mediating, and walking with people right through their pain. It's more like the role of a counselor and that can be a heavy burden to bear. By the time I get home, I am wiped out- just ready not to think anymore, but like all moms and wives, I come home and can't stop and veg out. There is always work to be done somewhere. I just struggle with finding where to give my 100% for the day without ending up in a deficit.

While writing all of this, I realize too, that this is the time of year when teachers are the most tired. The majority of the school year is gone, kids test their limits, issues come to the surface, and everyone has a short fuse. Thinking back, I feel this kind of tiredness at this time every year, so I know there is a light at the end of the tunnel. The light is called "June!" Come on June, you can't get here fast enough!

On another note, my son wrote a poem for my mom's funeral back in July. His poem was chosen in his school's writing contest and we are thrilled about it. We are anxious to hear how he does in the contest. His teacher and I shed a few tears together recently when I thanked her for choosing his poem. It's a beautiful testimony to my mother's life and her fight against cancer. I'll post it below:
________________________________________________
Victory

There came the day we learned of the cancer on her breast,
But still to us our Nana was a shining treasure chest.
That day she went to war with that cancerous disease,
But she has won that horrid fight with honor and with ease.
Her dull, gray chains are broken, this Angel’s wings are free,
Our lovely Nana’s going home, and we trumpet, VICTORY!

________________________________________________

Thinking back, a year ago, my family and I were at a portrait studio having family portraits taken together before my mom started chemo. We wanted to have one last set of pictures with her before the chemo took her hair. I am so glad we did that. I look at those pictures DAILY and take comfort in her smile. I still miss her terribly, though I have a really hard time talking about it. God still meets me in that pain and I share my grief with Him and that is enough for me.

Galatians 6:9- Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.

No comments:

Post a Comment