Last year, I posted about our family's goals for the new year. This year, we've been so busy, we haven't even had the conversation! But, betwixt and between all the busy-ness, God is working in our family in ways that I would like to share. I can promise you this, we don't have much figured out in life, but if this little bit we have to offer can help someone, then so be it!
3 Things That Make a Difference:
1. Reading the Bible as a family every day. This year, in the evening, my family reads the Bible. For 2012, we are following the Discipleship Journal Bible Reading Plan. It's been a huge blessing and it's easy to follow. I like that there are 25 readings in a month, so if there's a night with too many activities, you have a little wiggle room to catch up before moving on the the next month. I also like the fact that we have a Godly conclusion to our evenings, and now that the kids are older, our readings can prompt some fun discussions!
2. Praying with the Kids. Every night, we pray with our kids. It may seem like an obvious or simple thing, but the power of prayer has changed the heart of our family. We have been doing this for a while, and I am consistently amazed at the ways that we see into the hearts of our children through this precious prayer time. I also like that it forms a habit in them that hopefully will carry over into adulthood!
3. Reading Scripture and praying with my spouse. Aside from reading a praying with the kids, David and I make it a part of our nightly routine to read Scripture and pray with each other. This has probably changed our marriage more than anything and has given us a Christ focus that grows stronger every day. We follow two patterns in our prayer time. First, we pray for each other, using the examples given in The Power of a Praying Wife and the Power of a Praying Husband. There is something to be said of hearing the love of your life pour out his/her heart to God on your behalf everynight. Next, we use The Power of a Praying Parent to pray for our children. God convicted me a while a go that David and I may be the only people praying for our children. With that being the case, how could we not pray for them consistently? It has been an amazing experience and we are now better equipped to see the many answers to our prayers because our minds are focused on it every day.
I hope these tips are helpful and an encouragement to you. We, BY NO MEANS, have it all figured out, but what we have learned is that it is so much easier to live life when we walk and talk continually with the Lord.
Sunday, January 22, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment