My son has been waiting on this day for about....well, his whole life. Today he received the necessary paperwork to run for student government. Now, this is a privilege left only to 6th-8th graders, so now that he's entered 6th grade, he is eligible to run. He has been designing his campaign posters in his mind since this time last year. He has some really witty ideas for slogans (which I can't reveal yet), and, being his mom, I think he's a shoe-in and the best man for the job!
We had a comical conversation about this whole thing this afternoon. He feels that he has already won the votes of all the boys. After all, he's been in the forefront of bold, boy leadership for a while. In fact, one poor boy who also wanted to run has already dropped out to become my son's manager before the campaign really had time to take off. I haven't the heart to tell him that managers for middle school student government campaigns really do nothing and get no recognition. Oh well. Anyway, my son's concern, he said, was the girls. I interpret this to mean that the hormones have not yet kicked in for this particular 6th grade class, so he cannot attempt to woo them with his dashing good looks. His plan is to "do nice things" for the girls. This led me to ask my son why his behavior during a campaign should be any different from any normal day. He said, "Mom, I do nice things for the girls everyday, but now I have to do even nicer things." (I hid my smile)
I share all that to say that we got to have a really good conversation on what true leadership is. I told my son that leadership = servanthood, if he wants to truly model Christ's leadership. It doesn't involve campaign promises to get a vote, it doesn't involve acting nicer until someone votes for you. It comes down to being the same person regardless of the circumstances. I shared with him that the best student government leaders have been the ones that were ready to help BEFORE being asked, the ones who work behind the scenes to get things done, the ones who put themselves last and everyone else first. I am thankful for the opportunity to have these discussions with him!
So, as the week goes on, we will make posters, we will discuss how to react in a Godly manner if he doesn't win, we'll talk about all the possibilities, but more than anything, I get to watch my son continue to experience life and grow into the young man God wants him to be.
Now, you must pray for me that I will not bribe the voters with promises of good grades. (You see where he gets it) He is my baby after all! ;)
Monday, August 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment